Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I heard a dialogue on the street as follows:-

Man: How about going to a bar?
Girl: Not today.
Man: Why don't you go with me.
Girl: We still have time. (I think she meant they could go next time)

The man and the girl are non-native speakers.

I wonder if it is natural to say,"We still have time' in the above context?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard a dialogue on the street as follows:-

Man: How about going to a bar?
Girl: Not today.
Man: Why don't you go with me.
Girl: We still have time. (I think she meant they could go next time)

The man and the girl are non-native speakers.

I wonder if it is natural to say,"We still have time' in the above context?

Thanks.

The first two lines could have been spoken by a native speaker but it becomes clearer that they are not native speakers in the third line. The man's response to "Not today" should have been "Why won't you go with me?" or "Why don't you want to go with me?" The girl's response, I think, was supposed to mean "There will be another opportunity to go to a bar together". However, I would have expected to hear "We still have time" if she had agreed to go to a bar with him tonight. Then she would be saying that it was still early enough to go to a bar, ie the bars haven't closed for the night yet.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The first two lines could have been spoken by a native speaker but it becomes clearer that they are not native speakers in the third line. The man's response to "Not today" should have been "Why won't you go with me?" or "Why don't you want to go with me?" The girl's response, I think, was supposed to mean "There will be another opportunity to go to a bar together". However, I would have expected to hear "We still have time" if she had agreed to go to a bar with him tonight. Then she would be saying that it was still early enough to go to a bar, ie the bars haven't closed for the night yet.

Thanks again emsr2d2.

Quoted "The girl's response, I think, was supposed to mean "There will be another opportunity to go to a bar together." I think you are right.

However, the girl walked away with her friend (another girl). The man looked disappointed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks again emsr2d2.

Quoted "The girl's response, I think, was supposed to mean "There will be another opportunity to go to a bar together." I think you are right.

However, the girl walked away with her friend (another girl). The man looked disappointed.

Well, if she walked away with someone else, then it makes even more sense that she meant they could go to a bar together some other time (ie another day).

Status
Not open for further replies.