Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,895
    #1

    past, past progressive

    The baby _____ when her mom cooked in the kitchen.
    (A) sleeps (B) was sleeping (C) slept (D) sleep

    The answer is option B. Is option C also acceptable?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #2

    Re: past, past progressive

    Quote Originally Posted by sitifan View Post
    The baby _____ when her mom cooked in the kitchen.
    (A) sleeps (B) was sleeping (C) slept (D) sleep

    The answer is option B. Is option C also acceptable?
    No. If you change "when" to "while" (C) would work.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,912
    #3

    Re: past, past progressive

    In my opinion, "when" should read "while" no matter which answer you choose. I think it should also be "while her mother was cooking".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #4

    Re: past, past progressive

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If you change "when" to "while" (C) would work.
    Thank you, bhaisahab! Do we call it sequential past action? Of course, two actions completed in past. However, neither action being an interrupting action.

    Please have a look!

    This is an extraordinary fact, because it suggests that Abraham interrupted G‑d as He was about to speak, and asked Him to wait while he attended to his guests.

    More: Even Higher Than Angels - Covenant & Conversation - Parsha

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #5

    Re: past, past progressive

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No. If you change "when" to "while" (C) would work.
    Sorry, but it's perfectly possible! ‘When’ in that case would simply have the meaning ‘whenever’.

    If this is an exam question, it is an exceedingly poorly thought out one!

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #6

    Re: past, past progressive

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post


    Thank you, bhaisahab! Do we call it sequential past action? Of course, two actions completed in past. However, neither action being an interrupting action.

    Please have a look!

    "This is an extraordinary fact, because it suggests that Abraham interrupted G‑d as He was about to speak, and asked Him to wait while he attended to his guests."

    More: Even Higher Than Angels - Covenant & Conversation - Parsha
    You really need to quotes your examples. I spent ten minutes wondering why you were claiming that is was an extraordinary fact, when in fact you're not.

    This is a different use of 'while'. "He asked him to wait while he attended to his guests" doesn't mean he performed these two actions simultaneously. It means he asked them to wait, then he attended to his guests. While he attended to his guests, He waited. It means he asked God, "Please wait while I attend to my guests."

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Past simple + Past Perfect Progressive
    By Black_Parrot in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2012, 14:45
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2010, 08:48
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 23:32
  4. past pefect, past simple, or past progressive.
    By fuadha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 21:01
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 19:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •