Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 11
    #1

    Date of birth

    I have recently come across a sentence which was asked in a competitive exam under the heading Error-detection.
    1 What is your date of birth ?
    I have read the solved paper in a book which says that it should be
    2 What is the date of birth of yours?
    I want to know why cannot I use pronoun your with date of birth ? Why is the first sentence wrong?
    Important point is that in competitive exams,we have to follow the standard rules.We cannot use modern usage?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    #2

    Re: Date of birth

    Quote Originally Posted by Abhish View Post
    I have recently come across a sentence which was asked in a competitive exam under the heading Error-detection.
    1 What is your date of birth ?
    I have read the solved paper in a book which says that it should be
    2 What is the date of birth of yours?
    I want to know why cannot I use pronoun your with date of birth ? Why is the first sentence wrong?
    Important point is that in competitive exams,we have to follow the standard rules.We cannot use modern usage?
    #1 is correct. #2 makes no sense regardless of when it may have been written. What do you mean by "modern usage"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #3

    Re: Date of birth

    The first sentence is correct. The second is wrong.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #4

    Re: Date of birth

    Which exam is this? I have never heard the second in BrE and two AmE speakers here feel it's wrong. It may be in use in Indian English, but I cannot see any reason for marking your answer wrong- the majority of English speakers would use it. I see no good argument for saying that a regional variant is correct, if that is what it is, and an internationally standard form is incorrect. The second may be OK in India, but the first is fine in most of the English-speaking world, other than this exam.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #5

    Re: Date of birth

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Which exam is this? I have never heard the second in BrE and two AmE speakers here feel it's wrong. It may be in use in Indian English, but I cannot see any reason for marking your answer wrong- the majority of English speakers would use it. I see no good argument for saying that a regional variant is correct, if that is what it is, and an internationally standard form is incorrect. The second may be OK in India, but the first is fine in most of the English-speaking world, other than this exam.
    I don't think it's correct in Indian English.

  2. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #6

    Re: Date of birth





    Where were you born? I was born in 1999? Do they make sense?


  3. Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 1,458
    #7

    Re: Date of birth

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    Where were you born? I was born in 1999? Do they make sense?
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    No. Do you see why?

  4. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #8

    Re: Date of birth


    No, I donít. Because I have more questions than answers.


  5. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #9

    Re: Date of birth

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    No. Do you see why?
    If I am not mistake, you mean that I had better write when instead of where since I put a set date in the answer.

  6. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,617
    #10

    Re: Date of birth

    Where Were You Born, Obama?

    What controversy? Anyone who relies solely on MSM outlets (and most conservative outlets) may not even know that Obama has, to this day, not authorized the state of Hawaii to release his Certificate of Live Birth -- the "long form" -- to prove that he is a "natural born citizen" (NBC), a Constitutional requirement of all presidents.
    More: http://townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/2008/12/12/where_were_you_born,_obama/page/full/

    Where being used for place of birth. Excellent! When you write I must listen to you, Chicken Sandwich. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Birth date
    By arnasarutis21 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2012, 09:13
  2. [Vocabulary] shipment date vs. delivery date
    By Jack8rkin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2010, 13:09
  3. correction Date of Birth Letter - need correction
    By sanjoy2009 in forum Letter Writing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2009, 07:31
  4. [General] same date/even date/instant/ultimo/proximo
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 20:09
  5. date of birth
    By irinavelicu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Mar-2006, 19:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •