• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

changed our arrangement

Does this "arrangment" mean "agreement" or "the manner things are arranged"? I think the latter but the translation goes the former.

ex41)I work with a computer professional to help me purchase equipments, install software, and solve problems that periodically occur. He used to charge me by the hour. When he helped me, it often seemed like we were focusing on time rather than results. I was looking at my watch and he undoubtedly was looking at his. The faster he solved my computer problems, the less money he made. It just didn’t seem to make sense to me. We changed our arrangement so that he would get paid more if he finished more tasks, which is much more satisfying for both of us. Wouldn’t it make sense to pay a salesperson who only works part-time as much as one who works full-time if both achieved the same levels of sales?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: changed our arrangement

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does this "arrangment" mean "agreement" or "the manner things are arranged"? I think the latter but the translation goes the former.

ex41)I work with a computer professional to help me purchase equipments, install software, and solve problems that periodically occur. He used to charge me by the hour. When he helped me, it often seemed like we were focusing on time rather than results. I was looking at my watch and he undoubtedly was looking at his. The faster he solved my computer problems, the less money he made. It just didn’t seem to make sense to me. We changed our arrangement so that he would get paid more if he finished more tasks, which is much more satisfying for both of us. Wouldn’t it make sense to pay a salesperson who only works part-time as much as one who works full-time if both achieved the same levels of sales?
    It could mean either IMO.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: changed our arrangement

It is an agreement about how the man gets paid for his work. It is also "the manner in which his pay is arranged."

For me, thinking of it as an agreement is more straightforward.

And it is "equipment," not "equipments."