• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I told server to rectify the mistake on/in my order.

1) I told server to rectify the mistake on/in my order by giving me the dish that I ordered.( Should I use on/in? and is the sentence understandable?).

2) My food was cold and the server told me that she will change a new hot one for me. ( Is this sentence correct?).

3) I do not want onion with my food but I found onion in them. The server told me that she will change it for a new one that has no onion for me/ change a new one with no onion for me. ( Is this sentence correct?).

4) The chef messed up the meal because he did not cook it according to customer's instruction/ specification. ( Can I use instruction/ specification in this sentence?)

* The highlighted words are those that I am not sure about :). Hope somebody will help me. Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I told server to rectify the mistake on/in my order.

(not a teacher)

1) You should use "on". Also, there should be an article (a, an, the) in front of "server". It's understandable and grammatical, though the verbage is a tad stiff, if that makes any sense.

2) The bolded phrase makes no sense. Perhaps you could say "....she would reheat it for me." or "....she would exchange it for a hot one for me." or "....she would send it back to the kitchen/cook." This all depends on the type of dish we're talking about.

3) Not really. I'd say something more along these lines: "The server told me she would take it back to the kitchen and have it remade without onion." or "The server told me she would have the cook prepare a new dish without onion."

4) You could use either one. Note that "instruction/specification" should be plural here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I told server to rectify the mistake on/in my order.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic9000 View Post
    (not a teacher)

1) You should use "on". Also, there should be an article (a, an, the) in front of "server". It's understandable and grammatical, though the verbage is a tad stiff, if that makes any sense.

2) The bolded phrase makes no sense. Perhaps you could say "....she would reheat it for me." or "....she would exchange it for a hot one for me." or "....she would send it back to the kitchen/cook." This all depends on the type of dish we're talking about.

3) Not really. I'd say something more along these lines: "The server told me she would take it back to the kitchen and have it remade without onion." or "The server told me she would have the cook prepare a new dish without onion."

4) You could use either one. Note that "instruction/specification" should be plural here.

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.