Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Here ( Learning English | BBC World Service ) they say that "It's been a long time since I had pasta." and "it's been a long time since I have had pasta." are both correct.

What about the first verb, then? Could someone also (correctly
:)) say "Since the time I have been a teenager I have changed my mind?"
And what about "Since the time I have been a teenager, I changed my mind" ?

Thank you very much :)

nouamaneer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Tenerife
Interesting!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here ( Learning English | BBC World Service ) they say that "It's been a long time since I had pasta." and "it's been a long time since I have had pasta." are both correct.
The second is another way of saying. "I haven't had pasta for a long time", and is fine. We can't say, "[STRIKE]Since the time I have had pasta it has been long[/STRIKE]".
Could someone also
say "Since the time I have been a teenager I have changed my mind[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]"?
And what about "Since the time I have been a teenager, I changed my mind" ?
No and No. If you are still a teenager you could say, "I have changed my mind since I became a teenager" or "I have changed my mind since I have been a teenager".

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
... "I have changed my mind since I have been a teenager".

NOT A TEACHER

I have to say that I find this disconcerting. I remember a rule accoring to which Present Perfect "works" since a given point in time untill now. "Having been" a teenager hardly seems a point in time to me, but rather an extended period of time. Somehow "having become" a teenager works better for me, as it suggests a point in time.

I also have to admit that "Present Perfect" since "Present Perfect" structure is a revelation to me. "Present Perfect" since "Simple Past" has always seemed only correct. I suppose on your and the BBC's authority I am bound to try (not an easy thing to do at my age :-?) to also work the former into my English grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.