Sentence with relative/participle clauses and noun/prepositional phrases (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Complete the sentence by adding the pieces of information given. Use relative clauses, additonal noun phrases and participle clauses and prepositional phrases.
[...]
A painting...
(The paiting was found in a second-hand shop. It was found by Beth Sands. She is an antique dealer. She is from York. The paiting is thought to be by J.M.W. Turner. Turner was a British landscape artist.)
(Advanced Grammar in Use, Martin Hewings)

My sentence is different from the one provided by the book:

A painting found in a second-hand shop by antique dealer Beth Sands - who is from York - is thought to be by J.M.W. Turner, a Brtish landscape artist.

The book suggests:

A painting found in a second-hand shop by Beth Sands, an antique dealer from York, is thought to be by J.M.W. Turner, the British landscape artist.

As you see, my sentences mixes up dashes and commas. Is that appropriate? And what about the rest?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Writing relative/participle clauses and noun/prepositional phrases (II)

Dashes are for more radical departures from the general flow of the sentence. Commas are better here.

I would use "a British artist." Maybe if I had heard of her before, I would call her "the British artist."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Writing relative/participle clauses and noun/prepositional phrases (II)

Sir you are right but I do not speak English well, I `am a student from Romania, I just need a little help that`s why i need help..Thanks !Just some ideas!

Please start your own thread with your question.

Edit by Barb:
I moved the posts unrelated to this thread to the thread with the request for the letter. It is extremely poor forum etiquette to try to hijack a thread for your own, unrelated questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.