Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi to everyone, I'm John and I'm a new user
I would like to know if the sentence below is correct:

It would be well-mannered of you if you introduce yourself before asking information to me.

Thanks in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not.

It would be well-mannered of you to introduce yourself before asking information of me. (Or "from me.")

I hope this sentence is to be spoken to a child.

newjohn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Not a child.
An user of another website who contacted me without introduce himself.
So, how should I have written it?
Thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I already re-wrote it for you.

Most manners experts find it not well-mannered to lecture other adults about their manners.

newjohn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
ok...but even if he was rude?

Thank you again

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forums.

Obviously, we've strayed from grammar into culture and etiquette, but yes, the best way to treat rudeness is with exacting politeness. If the rude person doesn't "get it" the others in the forum will.

If the person hadn't been rude, just "forward," you can respond in any number of ways:
I like to know more about the folks I'm helping before starting a discussion. Tell me about yourself.
I'd feel better providing this answer if I knew more about you.
I'd like to know more about you before I answer. Can you tell me something about yourself?

If the person was actually rude, you could say something like "I've found it's better for my blood pressure to restrict myself to responding to people who actually recognize that I'm a human and treat me as such. I do wish you luck finding help from others who don't object to your approach."

Or you could extend an olive branch: Perhaps you didn't mean it, but your approach was rather demanding. I'm happy to answer people who have a genuine desire to know, but I hope you'll realize that you're writing to another human being, not an automaton, and some human-level interaction is nice.

newjohn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Welcome to the forums.

Obviously, we've strayed from grammar into culture and etiquette, but yes, the best way to treat rudeness is with exacting politeness. If the rude person doesn't "get it" the others in the forum will.

If the person hadn't been rude, just "forward," you can respond in any number of ways:
I like to know more about the folks I'm helping before starting a discussion. Tell me about yourself.
I'd feel better providing this answer if I knew more about you.
I'd like to know more about you before I answer. Can you tell me something about yourself?

If the person was actually rude, you could say something like "I've found it's better for my blood pressure to restrict myself to responding to people who actually recognize that I'm a human and treat me as such. I do wish you luck finding help from others who don't object to your approach."

Or you could extend an olive branch: Perhaps you didn't mean it, but your approach was rather demanding. I'm happy to answer people who have a genuine desire to know, but I hope you'll realize that you're writing to another human being, not an automaton, and some human-level interaction is nice.

Hi Barb.
Nice to meet you.

I really like your way you write and say things :)) ..expecially your second sentence in this case
You must be such an interesting and ironic person!
I treasure your advices. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.