Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
South Africa
I'm very new to this forum, so hope I'm not posting in the wrong place! I'm doing an online TEFL course and need to submit a lesson plan. I've submitted twice and am now on my final attempt. I'd greatly appreciate feedback on my lesson plan, as I've llooked at it too much and can't see what else to change. In particular, the tutuor has found issues with my proposed warmer and lead in activities. Thank you in advance.

STAGE 1 - WARMER
Start with a short general conversation about what everyone has done since the last lesson. If included at the beginning of every lesson, it will help to create a spirit of community in the lesson - students will be more likely to help classmates and form bonds. Teacher to nominate the first speaker, after that the student will call on the next student to speak and so on.
5 minutes T S S

STAGE 2: LEAD IN

Draw the class a picture of boy. Ask the class what he does each week. Draw a calendar, and fill in his daily activities for the week

3 minutes T S S

STAGE 2: Presentation: show students various pictures and realia of hobby related activities - a tennis ball, soccer/football, book, DVD etc. Elicit vocabulary from students and wrote on the board. Elicit from students that these are free time activities or HOBBIES. Drill vocabulary.
5 minutes T S
STAGE 3 - Presentation:use the hobbies from the previous stage and have students form sentences to check noun verb collocation- elicit and correct.
"I read books."
"I watch movies"
"I play football."
"I do yoga."

"Sarah plays the guitar."
Drill chorally and individually
6 minutes T S S
STAGE 4 - Controlled practise - give students a hand out in which they are to match activities to pictures, practising vocabulary taught. Include four gap fill sentences in which students practise their adverbs. Students check their answers in pairs.
3 minutes T S
STAGE 5 - Listening for gist exercise. Play a recording of two people discussing their different hobbies. Students listen if any of their suggestions are mentioned.
2 minutes T S
STAGE 6 - Listening for detail. Students listen again and note down all the hobbies they hear mentioned. Allow students to listen for a third time to try and note down the adverbs of frequency they hear used.
5 minutes T S
STAGE 7 - Plenary:Students check their answers in pairs - teacher to observe and help with corrections if there are any.
3 minutes S S
STAGE 8 - Production: Students are divided into pairs. they are to write a dialogue together. The scenario is that they are two new classmates discussing their hobbies. They will talk to each other about the hobbies they do regularly and not very often (practise adverbs of frequency). Students are to use all vocabulary addressed in the lesson - names of hobbies, and adverbs of frequency. The teacher is to move among the pairs, listening and helping if need be. Students will then present their dialogues to the class. Leave enough time at the end of the dialogues for teacher feedback
10 minutes T S S
STAGE 9 - Plenary - give students the opportunity to ask questions on the lesson.
2 minutes T S
Stage 10 - Homework - students will write a short paragraph in the simple present tense about the hobbies they, and their family members or friends do - regularity of the activity is also to be mentioned.
1 minutes T S

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm very new to this forum, so hope I'm not posting in the wrong place!
Welcome to the forum, Teesajay. :hi:

I have moved your post to a more appropriate forum.

We like to help when we can, but we do not help with assignments. Your teacher/tutor/lecturer wants to know what you can do, not what we can do. However, I don't think I am breaching our rules to dramatically if I say that your warmer does not appear very creative in preparing (informally) your learners for what is to come. It is very general indeed, and could be used for most lessons, as you note yourself. Can you come up with something that is more relevant to what is to follow in your lesson?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi Tessajay,

Do you mean to say your students are already familiar with adverbs of frequency, if you don't mind my asking? And, in what way the boy's daily activities are related to hobbies?

Incidentally, I find it rather confusing to start a lesson in one grammar tense and then to go on in another, it might be quite subjective though.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Esgaleth- the warmer uses more complex verb forms, at least ones generally learned later down the line (present perfect and simple past), as a lead-in to the simple present for habitual activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.