Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Apr 2012
    • Posts: 28
    #1

    How to say this in passive form?

    The man had been making the ring for one hour
    The ring had been being made for one hour, is this correct? If it isn't please help me to correct that. Many thanks in advance.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mai View Post
    The man had been making the ring for one hour
    The ring had been being made for one hour, is this correct? If it isn't please help me to correct that. Many thanks in advance.
    It's not possible to make that sentence passive in any natural way. Why do you want to?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #3

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    Hello, Mr. Mai:



    Congratulations! According to my books, you have correctly changed that sentence to the passive.

    But my books also tell me that native speakers will not accept such a passive sentence. So it is better to

    avoid changing the present/ past perfect progressive to the passive.


    James

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Apr 2012
    • Posts: 28
    #4

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It's not possible to make that sentence passive in any natural way. Why do you want to?
    Then what should I do if I encounter a situation like this? as for why, because I encountered a situation like this the other night.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #5

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mai View Post
    Then what should I do if I encounter a situation like this? as for why, because I encountered a situation like this the other night.
    What was the situation? You encountered a man making a ring? Or someone told you to make a passive sentence?
    In both cases you could have ignored them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Apr 2012
    • Posts: 28
    #6

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    What was the situation? You encountered a man making a ring? Or someone told you to make a passive sentence?
    In both cases you could have ignored them.
    The situation was I saw a working ring-making machine, I wanted to ask the staff "how long has the machine been making the ring", but I did not think of the active form then, and I did not know how to change it to passive.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: How to say this in passive form?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mai View Post
    The situation was I saw a working ring-making machine, I wanted to ask the staff "how long has the machine been making the ring", but I did not think of the active form then, and I did not know how to change it to passive.
    If you did not think of the active form, then you could not have changed it to the passive. The active form is nearly always the most natural form.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Using passive form
    By Chris Kim in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2009, 05:42
  2. [Essay] passive form or active form
    By abasgohari in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2008, 13:10
  3. passive form
    By jirikoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2007, 09:54
  4. the passive form
    By minnie2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2007, 08:38
  5. Passive form of Got
    By Rupali in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2005, 05:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •