Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The man had been making the ring for one hour
The ring had been being made for one hour, is this correct? If it isn't please help me to correct that. Many thanks in advance.:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The man had been making the ring for one hour
The ring had been being made for one hour, is this correct? If it isn't please help me to correct that. Many thanks in advance.:)

It's not possible to make that sentence passive in any natural way. Why do you want to?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Mr. Mai:

Congratulations! According to my books, you have correctly changed that sentence to the passive.

But my books also tell me that native speakers will not accept such a passive sentence. So it is better to

avoid changing the present/ past perfect progressive to the passive.

James

Steven Mai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It's not possible to make that sentence passive in any natural way. Why do you want to?

Then what should I do if I encounter a situation like this? as for why, because I encountered a situation like this the other night.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Then what should I do if I encounter a situation like this? as for why, because I encountered a situation like this the other night.
What was the situation? You encountered a man making a ring? Or someone told you to make a passive sentence?
In both cases you could have ignored them.

Steven Mai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
What was the situation? You encountered a man making a ring? Or someone told you to make a passive sentence?
In both cases you could have ignored them.

The situation was I saw a working ring-making machine, I wanted to ask the staff "how long has the machine been making the ring", but I did not think of the active form then, and I did not know how to change it to passive.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The situation was I saw a working ring-making machine, I wanted to ask the staff "how long has the machine been making the ring", but I did not think of the active form then, and I did not know how to change it to passive.
If you did not think of the active form, then you could not have changed it to the passive. The active form is nearly always the most natural form.

Status
Not open for further replies.