Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. What are the relationships between dipthongs and consonants?

2. I know Phonics for children in Kindergarten have short and long vowel. Does it have dipthongs and consonants as well?

3. Also, there is consonant digraphs for Phonics. What is it?

4. I am very confusing how to sound a word by using Phonics for kids in kindergarten and IPA. For the word digraph. The symbol in IPA is 'daigra:f' which sounds different from the a sound in phonics. Which one should I follow. Nown I know the right way to pronounce digraph but how about others words that I don't know how to pronounce.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Phonics is a way of teaching reading. Phonetics is the science of sounds. They are two completely different things
1. What are the relationships between dipthongs and consonants?
None, except that diphthongs are often preceded by and/or followed by consonants.
4. I am very confus[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE]ed how to sound a word by using Phonics for kids in kindergarten and IPA.
If you are trying to pronounce words in English use the phonetic/phonemic transcriptions. Forget phonics unless you are a teacher trying to teach children to read English.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Phonics is a way of teaching reading. Phonetics is the science of sounds. They are two completely different things None, except that diphthongs are often preceded by and/or followed by consonants. If you are trying to pronounce words in English use the phonetic/phonemic transcriptions. Forget phonics unless you are a teacher trying to teach children to read English.

Hi 5jj,

Thank you for your kind reply.
I am a part time tutor to teach children to read English. That's why I need to know Phonics very well. On the other hand, I need to learn IPA as well.
Please give me suggestion how to learn both of them on-line.
Your reply will be very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.