Could you fix a sentence that sounds weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haha27

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I heard that the word 'lover' has a sexual meaning but do you think it's okay to say lover here?

Many people watch movies to relieve their stresses, to enjoy with a lover, and even to study subjects like science and history. It this way, movies make it difficult for people to have some quility time if directors prefer to deals with real life.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I heard that the word 'lover' has a sexual meaning but do you think it's okay to say lover here?

Many people watch movies to relieve their stresses, to enjoy with a lover, and even to study subjects like science and history. It this way, movies make it difficult for people to have some quility time if directors prefer to deals with real life.

It's OK to use "lover", if that's what you mean. There are quite a few other problems with the text, though.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
These sentences which you keep asking us to 'fix', haha, should be posted in the Editing and Writing forum, with a title which 'includes all or part of the word/phrase being discussed'*— such as 'to enjoy with a lover'.

I have already moved some of them there myself.

*Extract from the Posting Guidelines.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Significant other" is better. "Lover" is such a 1970s, pre-AIDS type of word.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I disagree.

'Watching a film with a lover' is just fine.

Lovers are people who are in love. It's nobody's business but their own whether or not they are in a sexual relationship.

If you're not happy with it, use 'someone they love' 'a loved one' or 'their sweetheart'.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I disagree.

'Watching a film with a lover' is just fine.

Lovers are people who are in love. It's nobody's business but their own whether or not they are in a sexual relationship.

If you're not happy with it, use 'someone they love' 'a loved one' or 'their sweetheart'.

Rover

I would have to disagree with that statement these days. The word "lover" certainly has connotations of a sexual relationship. Two people who are in love are a couple, or boyfriend and girlfriend, or husband and wife, or husband and husband, or wife and wife, or partners, all of whom may or may not be in a sexual relationship. But lovers are definitely having sex and may well not be in love. They might be having an affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.