Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

In the Yahoo News story Analysis: Why Mitt Romney may have taken so long to concede, it says:

Political campaigns these days live or die by the analytics, and PBS pointed out the marine metaphors carried over to the Obama camp, which nicknamed its process Dreamcatcher and Narwhal, and then shifted to a vote-tracking system named—of all things—Gordon.

I don't understand why it says 'of all things' here. I don't understand if 'Gordon' has anything to do with the marine metaphors, but even if it does, still it is not clear why it says 'of all things'.

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

In the Yahoo News story Analysis: Why Mitt Romney may have taken so long to concede, it says:

Political campaigns these days live or die by the analytics, and PBS pointed out the marine metaphors carried over to the Obama camp, which nicknamed its process Dreamcatcher and Narwhal, and then shifted to a vote-tracking system named—of all things—Gordon.

I don't understand why it says 'of all things' here. I don't understand if 'Gordon' has anything to do with the marine metaphors, but even if it does, still it is not clear why it says 'of all things'.

Thank you

"Of all things" means "out of all the names they could possibly have chosen".
I think the point they are making about Gordon is that it is rather mundane. The other processes were given rather unusual and interesting names (Dreamcatcher and Narwhal) but this had a somewhat dull and boring name (with apologies to any users of this forum called Gordon!)

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@emsr2d2, thank you for the explanation. :) :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.