Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "insecticide" a wider concept than "pesticide" or are the two just interchangeable?
kk72

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pesticide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pesticide is wider. Not all pests are insects.

. A pesticide is generally a
chemical or biological agent (such as a virus, bacterium, antimicrobial or disinfectant) that through its effect deters, incapacitates, kills or otherwise discourages pests. Target pests can include insects, plant pathogens, weeds, molluscs, birds, mammals, fish, nematodes (roundworms), and microbes that destroy property, cause nuisance, spread disease or are vectors for disease.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This might be a trivial subject to deal with, but my feeling is that pest are badly influencing, destrying insects that are a part of the general insects. So I feel "pest" is a smaller concept than "insect", hence "pesticide" to "insecticide"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can believe what you want, but I showed you that "pesticides" can target all kinds of "pests," not just insects.

Pest | Define Pest at Dictionary.com

Definition 1 shows a pest is any annoying person, animal or thing.

Definition 2 shows that a pest is a type of annoying insect or small animal.

Not all insects are pests, but not all pests are insects either. "Pest" is a wider concept than "insect." Pesticide is a wider concept than "insecticide."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have just moved into a new flat in the tropics and we had it sprayed to kills insects- termites, cockroaches and ants. That's an insecticide. I don't know what effect it has on bacteria and fungus, but we weren't targeting them, so I agree with SoothingDave that pesticide is a wider category and includes any pests you kill because of the harm or damage they cause- flora, fauna, and fungus covers far more than a group of six-legged animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.