Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone, there is a sentence i have no idea if it has been used correctly. please help me.

'if there were no quiz in school, students would hardly make progress in study because they don't know how well they have learned.'

I have no problem with the first half of the sentence, but i am not sure about the after BECAUSE part, i suppose 'they don't know how well they have learned.' shuould be written in subjunctive? so what will the whole sentence be?

Many thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello everyone, there is a sentence i have no idea if it has been used correctly. please help me.

'If there were no quiz in school, students would hardly make progress in study because they don't know how well they have learned.'

I have no problem with the first half of the sentence, but I am not sure about the after BECAUSE part, I suppose 'they don't know how well they have learned.' should be written in subjunctive? so what will the whole sentence be?

Many thanks.

Where did you find that sentence?

soilboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Actually, it's from my friend's essay, I believe there is something wrong with that sentence.

soilboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
anybody knows?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

Since I also love quizzes in class, may I suggest a possible answer to your sentence?

"If there were no quizzes at school, students would hardly makes progress in their studies because they would not

know how much they had learned."

James

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's seems likely IMO that test or exams should be used instead of quiz as it sounds like assessment.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's seems likely IMO that test or exams should be used instead of quiz as it sounds like assessment.
I believe that an AmE quiz is a BrE test.

soilboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

Since I also love quizzes in class, may I suggest a possible answer to your sentence?

"If there were no quizzes at school, students would hardly make[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] progress in their studies because they would not

know how much they had learned."

James

I think this is a better one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone, there is a sentence and I have no idea if it has been used correctly. please help me.

'if there were no quiz in school, students would hardly make progress in study because they don't know how well they have learned.'

I have no problem with the first half of the sentence, but I am not sure about the after BECAUSE part. I suppose 'they don't know how well they have learned' [STRIKE]shuould[/STRIKE] should be written in subjunctive. So what will the whole sentence be?

Many thanks.

Please remember to capitalise the word "I" at all times. Also capitalise the first letter of every sentence.

Can you tell us how you would write "they don't know how well they have learned" in the subjunctive.

soilboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Please remember to capitalise the word "I" at all times. Also capitalise the first letter of every sentence.

Can you tell us how you would write "they don't know how well they have learned" in the subjunctive.

In this context, it may be "because they would not know how well they had learned"

Status
Not open for further replies.