Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Since I am not a native speaker, it is really hard to recognize the subtle difference between the adverbs with different prepositions. For example, early vs early on / later vs later on / hang about vs hang around / give off vs give out and etc.

and this is also relevant to my question that why people say 'go off to the library' instead of 'go to the library' and 'off the beach' to mean similar to 'along the beach'
I expect I would make a progress if I manage to detect those sutbtle differences in using English.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is really no significant difference between these usages. It's mostly a matter of personal preference. Take "early/later" vs "early/later on". If I was talking about the passage of time during the day, I'd probably use "early that day" and "later that day"; whereas if I was referring to someone's career, I'd say "early on in his career" and "later on in his career". However, switching them round would be just as correct. Don't worry about it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't think of a context where "off the beach" would mean the same as "along the beach".

zzang418lee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
then could you tell me what 'off the beach' mean exactly?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you can give me an example sentence containing it, I can tell you what I think was meant by it.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps they are saying "off to the beach" and "along to the beach"; which mean the same thing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here it can at times; my apartment is located just off the beach (along the beach); we had a little barbecue just off the beach...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here it can at times; my apartment is located just off the beach (along the beach); we had a little barbecue just off the beach...

For me, an apartment "just off the beach" would be slightly behind the beach. An apartment "along the beach" is on the beach but further along from where you are standing when you say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.