How is CAE/CPE certificate perceived in Britain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm asking about foreigners having such a certificate.
Does this certificate really mean sth for employers in Britain?
Or maybe it's just a fancy piece of paper without actual value?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my country (Poland),having CPE certificate is huge.
Not many people have it. It's prestigious.
Even those who have got MA in English Philology sometimes take the exam to test themselves.
Many of those who have got MA don't pass this exam.

I'm wondering if having CPE certificate or just CAE certificate means that British employer treats you equally with British candidate?
I mean simple jobs, like being a shop assistant, a cleaner, a waiter, some kind of physical work.

How high is is perceived?

Do you admire a foreigner who has got CPE certificate? Is it a difficult exam from the British perspective?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm wondering if having CPE certificate or just CAE certificate means that British employer treats you equally with British candidate?
Some employers insist on a Cambridge main-suite certificate or IELTS level before they will consider applications from non-native speakers. Once you have been employed, you are judged on your performance, not on your certificates.
I mean simple jobs, like being a shop assistant, a cleaner, a waiter, some kind of physical work.
Most employers have no interest in qualifications of any sort for this type of work.
Do you admire a foreigner who has got CPE certificate? Is it a difficult exam from the British perspective?
Apart from some employers, those in the TEFL industry and those involved in immagration and employment policies, most British people have probably not heard of CPE. As far as non-natives' level of English is concerned, we are far more interested in how they speak and, if relevant, write, than in odd pieces of paper they may have.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends very much on the type of work- if the job requires certain standards of English, employers will know about these exams, but this is not the case in the ones you mention. A CV that mentions CAE/CPE for a waiting job may let an employer know that you have studied English seriously, but few are likely to know much more than that unless they have employed people with the same qualification and know that they could speak well. If you're applying for a place in a university, they will know exactly what it means.

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your replies :)

Olga4652

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think CAE or CPE will do better than IELTS for job.But for office job specifically I think it might be even better to have a BEC. ThoughI have to admit that no English certificate is equivalent to the native level. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.