Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm trying to understant the difference between "to fall down" and "to fall over" and I came across two definitions, the following ones:

to fall down: when people or things fall to the ground from a higher position, they fall down.
Es. I slipped on the ice on the sidewalk and fell down.
Es. All the dishes on that shelf will fall down if there's another earthquake.

to fall over: when people or things fall over, they fall to the ground from an upright position.
Es. That tree has been dead for 30 years but it still hasn't fallen over.
Es. I almost fell over when I heard the terrible news.

According to you, aren't these definitions very similar in their meaning? It boils down to the fact that in the first we have the adjective "higher" and in the latter "upright".

How can I understant to use these two verbs correctly? Do they have the same use in AE and in BE?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I'm concerned, they mean much the same thing.

Yesterday, I fell down.
Yesterday, I fell over.

However, I wouldn't say "I fell down" unless I was referring to a sudden collapse when perhaps I fainted or my legs gave way. I would use "I fell over" if I stumbled over my own feet, or tripped over something which was in my way.

The result of both is exactly the same. I started off in an upright position and I ended up on the floor.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I started off in an upright position and I ended up on the floor.
Personal experience suggests that a touch more water (or tonic/soda) delays the deverticalisation.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you so much :)
you've been quite clear,
what about the four sentences I wrote about the two verbs? What do you make of them? Would you use "fall down" where I did? and what about the ones with "fall over"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Es. I slipped on the ice on the sidewalk and fell down. Yes.
Es. All the dishes on that shelf will fall down if there's another earthquake. No. The dishes will "fall off".

Es. That tree has been dead for 30 years but it still hasn't fallen over. You could use "fallen over" or "fallen down". I would prefer "That tree has been dead for 30 years but it is still standing".
Es. I almost fell over when I heard the terrible news. Yes, or "I almost collapsed/fainted".

See above for my comments on your example sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.