Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
context: I am at university. Several years ago I was at senior secondary school.

To tell my foreign friends, which tense should I use?:

The name of my secondary school is/was SLS.

My studying there is past, so WAS seems correct; but obviously its name has remained unchanged, so IS seems correct.

Could anyone help me please?

========================

In my college(we use a collegiate system), when we talk to foreigners, they will say 'I AM from America', because the status of being from that place never changes, but how about this:

You are/were from an international school.

The person I am talking to is in my college and she STUDIED in an international school two years ago.

===========================

The following question is also related to the present-past tense, so I hope to include it in this thread.

I know when we refer to a dead writer's work, we can say 'the writer uses/thinks....', which is the present tense, but how about:

The writer wants/wanted to show....

(I am not sure whether the act of WANTING is one single act in the past, which needs a past tense verb; or is an act that can be frozen in his work, which needs a present tense verb.)

Once again please forgive me, this Chinese student, whose mother tongue is free from inflection, for raising questions about tenses so frequently.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
context: I am at university. Several years ago I was at senior secondary school.

To tell my foreign friends, which tense should I use?:

The name of my secondary school is/was SLS.

My studying there is past, so WAS seems correct; but obviously its name has remained unchanged, so IS seems correct.

Could anyone help me please?

========================

In my college(we use a collegiate system), when we talk to foreigners, they will say 'I AM from America', because the status of being from that place never changes, but how about this:

You are/were from an international school.

The person I am talking to is in my college and she STUDIED in an international school two years ago.

===========================

The following question is also related to the present-past tense, so I hope to include it in this thread.

I know when we refer to a dead writer's work, we can say 'the writer uses/thinks....', which is the present tense, but how about:

The writer wants/wanted to show....

(I am not sure whether the act of WANTING is one single act in the past, which needs a past tense verb; or is an act that can be frozen in his work, which needs a present tense verb.)

Once again please forgive me, this Chinese student, whose mother tongue is free from inflection, for raising questions about tenses so frequently.

With your first question, I would find it quite unnatural to say "The name of my secondary school is/was ..." I would expect to hear "I attended XXX Secondary School" or "I went to XXX Secondary School". If you must construct it the way you did, then I would say "The name of the secondary school I attended is XXX".

For your second question, I find "You are/were from an international school" very unnatural. We don't say that someone is from a school. "You went to (or "attended") an international school".

Alive or dead, we use the present and the past tense to refer to what writer's want/wanted to say. There is no rule.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
With your first question, I would find it quite unnatural to say "The name of my secondary school is/was ..." I would expect to hear "I attended XXX Secondary School" or "I went to XXX Secondary School". If you must construct it the way you did, then I would say "The name of the secondary school I attended is XXX".

For your second question, I find "You are/were from an international school" very unnatural. We don't say that someone is from a school. "You went to (or "attended") an international school".

Alive or dead, we use the present and the past tense to refer to what writer's want/wanted to say. There is no rule.
Thank you.

In fact, in conversation, I can use other phrases and structures to express the same meaning when I am torn between choices, and all of my classmates will do so. But this is not my style. If I find something I don't understand, I should find out the reason behind.

Another good thing is I have learned that native English speakers will not say "from an international school". When I was typing the post, the thing in my mind was that foreigners will say "which college are you from", so I used it. Thank you for corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.