I got a book from Judy which was more interesting than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My grammar book says only 2 is possible, but wouldn't 1 be possible with further context?

1. I got a book from Judy which was more interesting than I expected.
2. I got a book from Judy, which was more interesting than I expected

I got three books from my friends. I got a book from Judy which was more interesting than I expected, but the other two books from other friends were boring.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My grammar book says only 2 is possible, but wouldn't 1 be possible with further context?

1. I got a book from Judy which was more interesting than I expected.
2. I got a book from Judy, which was more interesting than I expected

I got three books from my friends. I got a book from Judy which was more interesting than I expected, but the other two books from other friends were boring.

On it's own #1 is not possible. Your grammar book is correct.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you tell me why #1 is not possible?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can you tell me why #1 is not possible?

Because we can't tell whether it was the book, the receiving of the book, or (less likely), Judy, that was more interesting than you expected.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it not because of "a" in 1? #2 also has such ambuiguity for "which", I guess. The more I think about this, the more complicated it gets!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it not because of "a" in 1? #2 also has such ambuiguity for "which", I guess. The more I think about this, the more complicated it gets!
Perhaps you think too much, keannu. We had dozens of questions from you about possible interpretations of would, and you now seem to be embarking on a similar journey with commas and relative clauses.

Most of us native speakers do not consciously think about what we say. If we write, unless we hope to be published, most of us don't worry too much about the finer points of punctuation. Even if we hope to be published, we rely on our publishers and their editors to clean up our blunders.

Most of us, most of the time, assume that our listeners/readers are trying to receive a message from us, not trying to discover alternative interpretions of the words we have uttered/written.

Status
Not open for further replies.