Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Is everything all right with the text below? I know that text below is just a little bit strange, but I just want to know that everything is grammatically correct

My home is located somewhere in Chicago Illinois I have been living there for about 10 years. I'm not sure how to describe my home, but I call it a "shack" some of my friends call it a "penthouse" anyway it doesn't matter. So I live in Single-Family Home located at South Sangamon Street in Chicago illinois, but now I'm renovating this property. This property has 4 beds and 2 baths. The property has a lot size of 5,000 square feet and was built in 1904. This property has hardwood floors, high ceiling about 10 meters of height.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is everything all right with the text below? I know that text below is just a little bit strange, but I just want to know that everything is grammatically correct

My home is located somewhere in Chicago Illinois I have been living there for about 10 years. I'm not sure how to describe my home, but I call it a "shack" some of my friends call it a "penthouse" anyway it doesn't matter. So I live in Single-Family Home located at South Sangamon Street in Chicago illinois, but now I'm renovating this property. This property has 4 beds and 2 baths. The property has a lot size of 5,000 square feet and was built in 1904. This property has hardwood floors, high ceiling about 10 meters of height.

It's grammatical but it's more than a little bit strange.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you. I'm 19 years old, but my imagination is like 6 years old child =)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My home is located somewhere in Chicago Illinois. I have been living there for about 10 years. I'm not sure how to describe my home, but I call it a "shack". Some of my friends call it a "penthouse". Anyway, it doesn't matter. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I live in single-family home located at South Sangamon Street in Chicago illinois, and now I'm renovating this property, [STRIKE]This property[/STRIKE] which has 4 beds and 2 baths. The property has a lot size of 5,000 square feet and was built in 1904. It has hardwood floors, and ceilings about 10 meters high.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Penthouses" are at the top floors of tall buildings. No one would call a single-family dwelling a "penthouse."

The city and state are always separated by a comma. Chicago, Illinois.

And it is strange to cite the lot size in square feet and then to switch to meters for the ceilings. A 10-meter ceiling is indeed tall. Are you sure it isn't ten feet?

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you for correction. I have to talk about my home in next English language lesson at school, so my teacher told me that I can to talk whatever I want, but not shorter than 5 minutes =)

Status
Not open for further replies.