Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I would like to expand my vocabulary with some medical terms in English. I have been thinking about how to say, for example, if I go to see a doctor for a blood test.

Q1) Are these my phrases correct?

a) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor on an empty stomach to take blood for a REGULAR blood test."
b) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor on an empty stomach to take blood for a ROUTINE blood test."
c) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor to take blood for a REGULAR FASTING blood test."
d) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor to take blood for a ROUTINE FASTING blood test."

Q2) Does the phrase "fasting" can be used instead of "on an empty stomach" as I write it?

Q3) I came across the term "a routine blood-work". Is it another term for "a blood test"?

Thanks

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would like to expand my vocabulary with some medical terms in English. I have been thinking about how to say, for example, if I go to see a doctor for a blood test.

a) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor on an empty stomach to take blood for a REGULAR blood test."
b) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor on an empty stomach to take blood for a ROUTINE blood test."
c) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor to take blood for a REGULAR FASTING blood test."
d) "Tomorrow I will have to see a doctor to take blood for a ROUTINE FASTING blood test."

Q2) Does the phrase "fasting" can be used instead of "on an empty stomach" as I write it?

Q3) I came across the term "a routine blood-work". Is it another term for "a blood test"?

Thanks
I'm not medically-qualified, but here goes.

First some comments on the words used:

1. You will be giving the blood. The doctor will be taking it. Be careful not to give the opposite impression.
2. A "regular" test is something which happens to a set schedule: every month, or every year, for example.
3. A "routine" test may also be a "regular" test, or it may be a one-off event; but the important thing about it is that it is not an emergency procedure.
4. "Fasting" may be used instead of "on an empty stomach".
5. If you are having a blood test, then the fact that you will be having blood taken is understood.

Taking all of the above into consideration, I would express the sentences above as, "Tomorrow, I will have to see a doctor for a routine fasting blood test".

Finally, I would assume that "a routine blood-work" is the same as "a routine blood test".

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you for this helpful and useful answer, Grumpy. I am clear about these medical terms now. It's not important for me whether you are medically-qualified or not. I wanted the answers from common native speakers, as they say this what I've asked.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
None of your sentences are very natural. The phrase "take blood" is not right. You go to give blood or to have blood taken.

I have a blood test tomorrow. I have to fast.

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Aha! I see. Thank you for pointing this out. Maybe would it be better to say?
"a nurse takes blood"
"I give blood for test" looks awkward to me because it reminds me "I give blood = donate".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks
I'm wondering why only a doctor on an empty stomach can take your blood.
"Tomorrow I have to see my doctor for a routine fasting blood test." This works for me.

GoldLight

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you very much, Raymott.

...only a doctor on an empty stomach...:lol:

I didn't know how to order all these words into one sentence. It seems it must be two sentences at least.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, Raymott.

...only a doctor on an empty stomach...:lol:

I didn't know how to order all these words into one sentence. It seems it must be two sentences at least.

You could forget about the doctor. Most people understand that if you have a blood test, some medical professional will be drawing the blood.

(It is very unlikely to be a doctor doing this. A "phlebotomist" is the medical professional.)

Status
Not open for further replies.