'jackoff bit' and 'made it to the john' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim- Pimp, The story of my life)

Now I met a whole section that has parts I am completely at sea with. Below I quote the section and underline the fragment that I cannot interpret:

"I held the end of a necktie in my teeth. I coiled it and tightened it around my arm. On first stab I hit a perfect bullseye. I did Top's jackoff bit. I threw up. I just made it to the john. The kick was greater that the one at Top's"

background:

Slim describes how he bangs cocaine after learning it from his friend Glass Top.

'Top's jackoff bit' may refer to some special technique of using the syringe to get the drug into the vein most effectively. But the other underlined parts...well, I have no idea. Anyone has?

many thanks in advance

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No idea about the 'jackoff bit'. 'Threw up' - vomited. 'The john' - the toilet; 'just made it' - only just got there in time.

b

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(not a teacher)

I'm not certain either, but maybe he masturbated while or just before shooting up. It makes some sense since your heart rate skyrockets when masturbating or having sex, which would speed the distribution of the drug throughout your system, combining both a natural and artificial high.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not certain either, but maybe he masturbated while or just before shooting up. It makes some sense since your heart rate skyrockets when masturbating or having sex, which would speed the distribution of the drug throughout your system, combining both a natural and artificial high.
How different, how very different, from the home life of our own dear Queen.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How different, how very different, from the home life of our own dear Queen.

The sad truth is that not all of us can live the American dream like Iceberg Slim.

Last edited:

mrghd

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Having known previous parts of the novel an other interpretation seems to be plausible: Slim describes earlier how Glass Top injected the drug into his vein. Indeed he did not use a syringe but an eyedropper with a needle on its tip and a gum bulb on its other end. He hit his vein with the needle, waited until some of his blood appeared in the tube and kept the gum bulb pumping for a relatively long time (I guess in order to get every little dissolved grain of drug into his system) The pumping move could be visually similar to a 'Jackoff'/masturbation -and that's what Slim refers to

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Having known previous parts of the novel an other interpretation seems to be plausible: Slim describes earlier how Glass Top injected the drug into his vein. Indeed he did not use a syringe but an eyedropper with a needle on its tip and a gum bulb on its other end. He hit his vein with the needle, waited until some of his blood appeared in the tube and kept the gum bulb pumping for a relatively long time (I guess in order to get every little dissolved grain of drug into his system) The pumping move could be visually similar to a 'Jackoff'/masturbation -and that's what Slim refers to

In the 60s and 70s in the UK, to "jack up" was to inject a drug into a vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.