[Grammar] Unsure about the format of century(e.g. 20th c? 20th. c?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm confused by what the correct format is when referring to centuries! Please help.
=====================
1.Abbreviation:
If I want to abbreviate "the 20th century", do I write "the 20th c"? Can "the" be omitted, too?
e.g.
Computer is invented in 20th c.​

2.Writing two centuries:
I'll just give examples:
The Hundred Years' War in 14th-15th c was ignited by quarrels for the succession of the French crown.
The Hundred Years' War in the 14th-15th century was ignited by quarrels for the succession of the French crown.​
Are there any problems in both sentences?

=====================
Thank you!:-D

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm confused by what the correct format is when referring to centuries! Please help.
=====================
1.Abbreviation:
If I want to abbreviate "the 20th century", do I write "the 20th c"? Can "the" be omitted, too?
e.g.
Computer is invented in 20th c. No. The computer was invented in the twentieth century. Since the computer was (past tense) invented in the twentieth century we use "was", not "is". Actually, a primitive computer was used in the 1880 US census and a theory of programmable machines was developed years before that.

2.Writing two centuries:
I'll just give examples:
The Hundred Years' War in 14th-15th c was ignited by quarrels for the succession of the French crown. Use "the" and "centuries"
The Hundred Years' War in the 14th-15th century was ignited by quarrels for the succession of the French crown. Use "centuries"
Are there any problems in both sentences?

=====================
Thank you!:-D
This is largely a matter of style. The Chicago Manual of Style holds that the century should be spelled out (twentieth, not 20th) and that century not be capitalized. Other guides may disagree with this one. Whatever style you adopt, stay with a particular one.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you Mr./Ms Gillnetter! The corrections and other advice are so informative and detailed!:up:
So when I'm writing an essay, basically I'd better write the centuries the complete way because it is more formal. Am I right?:)

I've been always wanting to improve my "style" in writing so that my compositions don't look "messy & wild", but I just have no ideas what resources I can rely on.:-|
I just accidentally found a "style guide" on "The Economist"and am browsing through it already, but unsure if my style can be repaired by only this guide.(I'm so surprised seeing a magazine teach you how to write! But that's good anyway)
Or should I better purchase a book lest I should miss a lot of knowledge maybe?(Like, owning The Chicago Manual of Style?:))Hmm~

Thank you again. I hope my problem is not too odd!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chicago is a standard for many, but it's not always easy to use.
See if you have one in your local library before making the investment.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Chicago is a standard for many, but it's not always easy to use.
See if you have one in your local library before making the investment.
Ah, why haven't I thought of library! Thanks for reminding me.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.