Didn't I tell you/haven't I told you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
A doesn't know something, and I want to tell A that X is Y:

Didn't I tell you/haven't I told you that X is Y

Which one is correct?

DIDN'T seems acceptable because I can use the past tense to refer to an understood past time
(=Didn't I tell you X is Y before our conversation began?)

HAVEN'T seems acceptable because I am linking the past to the present result, which result is your knowledge of it.

Or does the usage vary from region to region?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
From a conversational point of view they are virtually the same. there is a slight nuance that is different, - (the continuing nature of the state of not having told,) but this is mostly immaterial in most situations. the communicative effect is virtually the same.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A doesn't know something, and I want to tell A that X is Y:

Didn't I tell you/haven't I told you that X is Y

Which one is correct?

DIDN'T seems acceptable because I can use the past tense to refer to an understood past time
(=Didn't I tell you X is Y before our conversation began?)

HAVEN'T seems acceptable because I am linking the past to the present result, which result is your knowledge of it.

Or does the usage vary from region to region?
The usage varies with region. North Americans often use the simple past where the rest of us use the present perfect.
You use the same rules as you would for other uses of these tenses.
"Didn't I tell you?" (Yesterday, last week, at some specific time in the past).
"Haven't I told you?" (Yet, up until now)

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
The usage varies with region. North Americans often use the simple past where the rest of us use the present perfect.
You use the same rules as you would for other uses of these tenses.
"Didn't I tell you?" (Yesterday, last week, at some specific time in the past).
"Haven't I told you?" (Yet, up until now)

Thank you.

Sometimes I am afraid the HAVEN'T structure is illogical. Could anyone point out my mistake?:
The reason is that when I say Haven't I told you, the answer is either YES YOU HAVE or NO YOU HAVEN'T, but at the time of hearing the question of HAVEN'T I TOLD YOU X IS Y, a transient moment before offering an answer, the answerer will have known X IS Y, so how can the answerer say NO YOU HAVEN'T? But the answer to Didn't I tell you seems to be free from this contradiction, because when the answerer says NO YOU DIDN'T, the absolutely logical non-shortened form is NO YOU DIDN'T, BEFORE YOU ASKED ME THIS QUESTION.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you.

Sometimes I am afraid the HAVEN'T structure is illogical. Could anyone point out my mistake?:
The reason is that when I say Haven't I told you, the answer is either YES YOU HAVE or NO YOU HAVEN'T, but at the time of hearing the question of HAVEN'T I TOLD YOU X IS Y, a transient moment before offering an answer, the answerer will have known X IS Y, so how can the answerer say NO YOU HAVEN'T? But the answer to Didn't I tell you seems to be free from this contradiction, because when the answerer says NO YOU DIDN'T, the absolutely logical non-shortened form is NO YOU DIDN'T, BEFORE YOU ASKED ME THIS QUESTION.
Sure. You can answer "Haven't I told you that you're not coming?" with "No, you hadn't until just then", if you want to be really logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.