• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Intralinear?

What does it mean? I have looked it up at Merriam Webster and about.com without success. Note that it is not 'interlinear', but 'intralinear'.

Re: Intralinear?

Using an analogy from chemistry, intermolecular means 'between different molecules', whereas intramolecular means 'between parts within the same molecule'. Could you clarify the context in which the word came up?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you, rogusx, for your input. You actually gave me a pretty good idea as to what the word could mean, but in the context from which I found the word, its meaning seems to be quite abstract.

I'd have to give you a rather long context for clear understanding. If you wouldn't mind reading it, here it is:

All the officer patients in the ward were forced to censor letters written by all the enlisted-men patients, who were kept in residence in wards of their own. It was a monotonous job, and Yossarian was disappointed to learn that the lives of enlisted men were only slightly more interesting than the lives of officers. After the first day he had no curiosity at all. To break the monotony he invented games. Death to all modifiers, he declared one day, and out of every letter that passed through his hands went every adverb and every adjective. The next day he made war on articles. He reached a much higher plane of creativity the following day when he blacked out everything in the letters but a, an and the. That erected more dynamic intralinear tensions, he felt, and in just about every case left a message far more universal.
    I wouldn't have known what the sentence meant even if the word in the context was 'interlinear'. Anyone?
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 22-Jan-2006 at 03:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Nice black lines with articles poking through, sugesting a message underneath that couldn't even be guessed at, whereas removing adjectives, etc, leaves a lot of the message. It would be a universal message because it would be completely meaningless. The poor family would receive a slab of black lines with a/an/the poking out between blocks.