Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear teachers, would you be so kind to specify whether we should use "harmful" or "injurious" when speaking of habits? I've looked up a few monolingual dictionaries and still can't make up any clear conclusion. Thank you ever so much.
P.S. By the way, is it possible to say "clear conclusion" or should it be some other word?Thank you))

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello Irene and welcome to Using English.

"Injurious" is a rather formal word and isn't used that often. It's not wrong, but most people would use harmful. I believe if you use "injurious" you usually say what is being injured.

This time, I will answer your second question, but in the future, please create two posts if you have two unrelated questions. The threads get very confusing when two issues are discussed.

Yes, you can certainly say "clear conclusion" but if you write the entire sentence and tell us the context, we might be able to give a better answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

irene_myself

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you ever so much, promise to create separate posts for the future. "clear conclusion" was meant in the context I used it. ))

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh dear - you used it in the first paragraph. :roll: I didn't look very well, did I.

You couldn't draw any clear conclusions about it.

irene_myself

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you))

Status
Not open for further replies.