English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Are the following sentences acceptable?

1. In today’s society, each person might be under pressure in some ways, such as schoolwork, work, and family.

2. Some people’s slumber might be influenced because of being under too much pressure, so it will bring out insomnia.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are the following sentences acceptable?

1. In today’s society, each person might be under pressure in some ways, such as schoolwork, work, and family.

2. Some people’s slumber might be influenced because of being under too much pressure, so it will bring out insomnia.

Neither is correct. I have underlined the parts which need the most correction.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Neither is correct. I have underlined the parts which need the most correction.

You think Some people’s slumber might be influenced because of being under too much pressure is incorrect; I'm not sure whether it is because you think SLUMBER cannot be UNDER TOO MUCH PRESSURE. If so, I think the original sentence is OK, because when the subject can be traced, some grammarians will consider it acceptable, like Care must be taken when dealing with the problem, which is OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I said, I underlined the parts which had a problem. We don't use "because of" after "influenced", we use a 2-letter preposition.
And we don't refer to insomnia as being "brought out". There is another phrasal verb which would work there which starts with "bring" and is followed by another 2-letter preposition.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
As I said, I underlined the parts which had a problem. We don't use "because of" after "influenced", we use a 2-letter preposition.
And we don't refer to insomnia as being "brought out". There is another phrasal verb which would work there which starts with "bring" and is followed by another 2-letter preposition.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought the sentence grammatical but whether it sounded natural to native speakers I didn't know.

For the other part of the sentence, the similar thing I can find in my favourite dictionary is:

[h=4]bring something on:[/h] to make something develop, usually something unpleasant

eg He was suffering from stress brought on by overwork.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Brazil

Would it be the preposition by?
Would it be bring on?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.