[Grammar] When/how to Remove Unnecessary Parts in a Sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahin_67

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello there,

I just wonder when/how to take away unnecessary parts in a sentence. Let's bring up a few couple of examples:
I. An egg mixture [STRIKE]which is[/STRIKE] cooked until [STRIKE]they are[/STRIKE] just set. (src: Omelet, WordNet 2.0)​
II. Though aged [STRIKE]she is[/STRIKE], she still runs her small store.​

Would someone please explain such rules grammatically because I still do removals intuitively!

Thanks in advance,

Edit:
I've a tiny clue that you're allowed to delete when dealing with "To Be" verbs.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello there,

I just wonder when/how to take away unnecessary parts in a sentence. Let's bring up a few couple of examples:
I. An egg mixture [STRIKE]which is[/STRIKE] cooked until [STRIKE]they are[/STRIKE] just set. (src: Omelet, WordNet 2.0)​
II. Though aged [STRIKE]she is[/STRIKE], she still runs her small store.​

Would someone please explain such rules grammatically because I still do removals intuitively!
It's hard to know where to begin, as your original sentences are not natural to start with. #1 is not a complete sentence, and the pronoun 'they' should be 'it'. The 'she is' should never have been in #2, and we tend to use 'elderly' rather than 'aged' in most situations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As 5jj said, it's hard to say how to remove words from already incorrect sentences. With your second example, if the word order were changed, it would have been possible to have "she is" in it.

Elderly though she is, she still runs a small shop.

With that sentence, there are no words which could be omitted and still leave a meaningful sentence. You could omit "still" but it loses meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.