Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korea, this "glamorous" is distorted to the meaning of "having sexy body with voluptuous beauty, especially -it's hard to say here - when a girl has big bre*** and a hi*".
How do you say this shortly in English? I'm not seeking sexual terms, but I'm curious about it to straighten out the distorted term in Korean.

ex)You're watching an awards show. The most popular actress in Hollywood walks onto the red carpet. She is wearing a glamorous pair of shoes. Maybe you think that if you...

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So you're looking for a better definition of "glamorous" or you're looking for a word that means "lusciously sexy" to match your Korean definition?

By the way, "breasts" is certainly not an objectionable term, so feel free to spell that out, but I'm at a loss to guess what "hi*" is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's especially for a girl like a movie star who is sexy with big breasts and a big hip. It's usually for the ideal body beauty -it may not be ideal for some people- with a thin waist, big breasts, big hip which make sexually attractive body line(S-line).
Maybe the late dutch movie star Sylvia Kristel could be an example. Koreans call her "glaramorous" only for her body beauty, but I think it's broken English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's especially for a girl like a movie star who is sexy with big breasts and a big hip.
Most girls, sexy or otherwise, have two hips. I've noticed that most men do, too. They're 'broad' rather than 'big'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah. Hips. We have two. To say someone has "a big hip" is wrong. Unless there is some serious deformitiy going on.

You can be glamorous without being vuluptuous, or even, I think, sexy. People talk about photo-journalism as a "glamorous" career, picturing them jetting all over the world to take exotic photographs. (They have little sense of how hard that work is.)

You can have a glamorous gown full of sparkles and interesting cuts on a very thin, rail-like figure.

I think you'll be best served using "voluptuous" for the meaning you seem to want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.