[Grammar] question on the varied usage of 'matter' (my first ever post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello all, this is my first post. I usually search for answers online (mostly using Google) regarding questions about grammar and sentence use. But, I recently discover about this wonderful forum where questions are quickly replied by experts (or anyone) :). So, that's why I'm posting this. That's being said, let me keep this brief & get on with my question:
Could you please suggest which of these 3 sentences is the best at using the word 'matter' or suggest a better one?

1. Her small mistake isn't that much to matter.
2. Her small mistake is hardly a matter.
3. Her small mistake shouldn't be much to matter.

I want to tell this to a friend. but, I am unsure which to pick as the best sentence using the word matter (as in: it doesn't matter). Thank you for your time and help! and excuse me for any possible grammar error. I'm happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, gr3tdicipl3. :hi:

I am surprised that a native speaker should ask this question. none of these three is natural. We can say:

Her small mistake doesn't matter.
Her small mistake is hardly a matter of concern.
Her small mistake isn't anything to worry about.

Last edited:

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the quick reply.
Just to be sure, when you said none of these sentences are natural, did you meant as none of them are correct?

And for sentence # 2, was it wrong because it was missing "of concern"? I thought it was okay just saying "Her small mistake is hardly a matter."

Also, just to be clear: I'm may be a native speaker (born speaking english). But, I got caught up with so much english slang street talk with most of my friends (I'm trying not to adapt to them anymore). Also, I have Spanish speaking parents which made me focus on Spanish more than english. It may not be much of an exuse, but it made me lose track of speaking proper English. Hence, that's why I'm asking those questions and sometimes I have trouble expressing my thoughts.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You were born speaking English? That's amazing.

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
yeah thx. It's such a benefit and a thing I take for granted; I almost wasted that skill. Like my above explanation, I loss track of speaking English well ahaha. I have been getting back on track especially since I'm going to college.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would have thought that if you were born speaking English, your story would have appeared in the worldwide press and in many medical journals. Your parents must have been absolutely amazed when you popped out spouting any language at all! :)

gr3tdicipl3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After you said that joke, I just notice my silly misunderstood mistake (born speaking English) haha. But, I'll take that as a compliment especially from a language expert. If assuming you said that in a literal sense, then yes, I would have been amazing and I would guess that I wouldn't have asked for English help right here. But, then again nobody speaks perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.