Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm having problems with the following task:

"I must say I didn't regret when I heard that Bob Hope was being recalled from the Committee. He ______ my views ever since he became a member. I didn't know I'd be leaving only two months after him."

The suggested answer is " (he) had been opposing". What confuses me is the fact that past perfect refers to events that occurred way before ones described with past simple. As far as I know, it is not just the past form of present perfect, is it? :) Then the sentence would suggest that he had been opposing his views BEFORE he even became the member!
I understand the use of past perfect in sentences like "They fired me before I even had had a chance to explain!", because it shows that the person should have had the chance, and they just didn't want to listen :) But here? :(

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm having problems with the following task:

"I must say I didn't regret it when I heard that Bob Hope was being recalled from the Committee. He ______ my views ever since he became a member. I didn't know I'd be leaving only two months after him."

The suggested answer is " (he) had been opposing". What confuses me is the fact that past perfect refers to events that occurred way before ones described with past simple. As far as I know, it is not just the past form of present perfect, is it? :) Then the sentence would suggest that he had been opposing his views BEFORE he even became the member!
I understand the use of past perfect in sentences like "They fired me before I even had had a chance to explain!", because it shows that the person should have had the chance, and they just didn't want to listen :) But here? :(
I believe that you are trying to read more into this than is necessary.
"He had been opposing"
When did this begin?
"ever since he became a member"
Did he oppose my views before he became a member?
There is no indication of that in the text.

White_Russian94

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So, just to make sure, the only thing that matters is that he had been opposing his views before he was recalled? And that's where the past perfect came from?

Status
Not open for further replies.