Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
In grammar books, it is written that you can use "cannot" or can't for negative deduction like

' Susy cannot stay at her mother's house because she is in hospital.'

I know that this works for situations in the present but what about negative deductions referring to the future like

'Tony cannot come to his sister's bithday party tonight because he is in hospital.' meaning that I conclude from Tony's situation that it is not possible or true he will be at his sister's birthday party tonight or would only this sentence be correct?

'Tony will not be able to come to his sister's birthday party because he is in hospital.'

What about in conditional sentences in which the main clause refers to the future

'If my son ever breaks the table, we cannot use it.' or is there only one correct way of putting this sentence ' If my son ever breaks the table, we will not be able to use it.'

I am looking forward to your answers

Greetings from Bavaria

Joern

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In grammar books, it is written that you can use "cannot" or can't for negative deduction like

' Susy cannot stay at her mother's house because she is in hospital.'
No. I'ts situations like this:

That can't be the president. The president wouldn't be shopping in Walmart.

Your sentence means 'Susy is not able to stay ...'.
I know that this works for situations in the present but what about negative deductions referring to the future like

'Tony cannot come to his sister's bithday party tonight because he is in hospital.' meaning that I conclude from Tony's situation that it is not possible or true he will be at his sister's birthday party tonight or would only this sentence be correct?

'Tony will not be able to come to his sister's birthday party because he is in hospital.'
Only the second meaning is possible.
What about in conditional sentences in which the main clause refers to the future like

'If my son ever breaks the table, we cannot use it.' or is there only one correct way of putting this sentence ' If my son ever breaks the table, we will not be able to use it.'
Only the second sentence is possible.

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello 5jj,

Thank you very much. Your answer was very helpful.

Best wishes

Joern:)

Status
Not open for further replies.