Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: In the front of

  1. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,247
    #1

    In the front of

    Dear teachers,

    I found this sentence in an exercise, is it correct to say "In the front of" or should it be "At the front of" ?

    In the front of the garage, a young chauffeur in shiny black leggingswas dusting a maroon convertible.

    Thank you in advance.
    Hela

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #2

    Re: In the front of

    Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I found this sentence in an exercise, is it correct to say "In the front of" or should it be "At the front of" ?

    In the front of the garage, a young chauffeur in shiny black leggingswas dusting a maroon convertible.

    Thank you in advance.
    Hela
    If he was inside the garage near the front, "In the front" is correct.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 51,187
    #3

    Re: In the front of

    If he was outside the garage, then "In front of the garage" would be appropriate.
    "At the front of the garage" is a little ambiguous.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Zhuang
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Oct 2012
    • Posts: 196
    #4

    Re: In the front of

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If he was outside the garage, then "In front of the garage" would be appropriate.
    "At the front of the garage" is a little ambiguous.
    That interests me. I 've hardly heard 'AT the front of something'; could you explain why the phrase can have more than one meaning?

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #5

    Re: In the front of

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    That interests me. I 've hardly heard 'AT the front of something'; could you explain why the phrase can have more than one meaning?
    There are 270 entries for "at the front of" in the BNC and 1,036 in COCA. It's a very common construction. It's ambiguous in the context of the OP's question because it doesn't make clear whether the person is inside or outside.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •