Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. What does she look like?
2. What is she like?

Does look like mean "physical appearance"? Does be like mean "physical appearance" or "personality"'? I saw the following context from a Grammar textbook:-

A: What's your cat like?
B: It's big and fat.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. What does she look like?
2. What is she like?

Does look like mean "physical appearance"? Does be like mean"personality'? I saw the following context from a Grammar textbook:-

A: What's your cat like?
B: It's big and fat.

Thanks for your help.

"What does she look like?" is asking about physical appearance. "What is she like?" could be asking about physical appearance or personality.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"What does she look like?" is asking about physical appearance. "What is she like?" could be asking about physical appearance or personality.

Thanks bhaisahab,

Please note that I didn't edit my original post after you had replied. You replied at 18.29. However, I edited my original post at 18.30.

John: What is your girl friend like?
Tom: ?????

"What is she like?" could be asking about physical appearance or personality. How does Tom know whether John is asking about his girlfriend's physical appearance or personality. I am wondering how Tom would answer. I guess if John's girlfreind is beautiful, he might say, "She's hot". If John's girlfreind is not beautiful, he might say,"She's kind and friendly".

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks bhaisahab,

Please note that I didn't edit my original post after you had replied. You replied at 18.29. However, I edited my original post at 18.30.

John: What is your girlfriend like?
Tom: ?????

"What is she like?" could be asking about physical appearance or personality. How does Tom know whether John is asking about his girlfriend's physical appearance or personality. I am wondering how Tom would answer. I guess if John's girlfriend is beautiful, he might say, "She's hot". If John's girlfriend is not beautiful, he might say,"She's kind and friendly".

Be careful with your spelling of "friend" and "girlfriend".

The simple answer is that Tom can't be sure whether John is asking about his girlfriend's appearance or her personality. However, if I were asked such a question, I would assume that he meant personality. However, "gorgeous" would actually fit into the answer to both questions. When we talk about appearance, we might say "blonde, blue eyes, tall" etc.

What does your girlfriend look like?
She's gorgeous. She's six foot tall with blue eyes and jet black hair.

What's your girlfriend like?
She's gorgeous. She's really friendly, chatty, bubbly and sociable, and she loves the same films and music as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.