Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korean traffic signs, I can find mostly "junctions" not "intersections", which I heard from native speakers a lot.
Do they ever use "junction" for the intersecting points on the road?

6-1)There was once a town that suffered from terrible traffic jams day and night. The town was too poor to afford many traffic lights, which was part of the problem. At the intersections without traffic lights, drivers would inch their cars forward until they were blocking the cars moving to the left and the right.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Korean traffic signs, I can find mostly "junctions" not "intersections", which I heard from native speakers a lot.
Do they ever use "junction" for the intersecting points on the road?

6-1)There was once a town that suffered from terrible traffic jams day and night. The town was too poor to afford many traffic lights, which was part of the problem. At the intersections without traffic lights, drivers would inch their cars forward until they were blocking the cars moving to the left and the right.
An intersection is where two roads (or streets) cross each other, like a small t. A junction is where one road (or street) meets another, but they do not have to cross each other, like a big T. A junction can be both a junction and an intersection. The word junction is usually reserved for places where roads meet in rural areas.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The place I see "junction" used is where one encounters a numbered route or where one meets another. Something like this:

images

Status
Not open for further replies.