Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hello..
myself shweta shah, i am an indian and i reside in mumbai. i know to speak and write english properly all i want to learn is a professional english which can be used in front of professional peoples.:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello..
My name is Shweta Shah, I am [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] Indian and I reside in Mumbai. I know how to speak and write English properly, all I want to learn is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] professional English which can be used with professional people[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE].:)

Welcome to the forums, Shweta Shah. Please note the corrections I have made to your post.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

From personal experience, I have learned that there is only one way to build up your vocabulary:

Read - Read - Read !!!

Thanks to the Web, you can easily read the best magazines and newspapers in the world.

If you want to improve your vocabulary, you might try Britain's London Review of Books. Believe me: when you read an article

in that magazine, you will be using your dictionary very frequently.

For a very good American magazine, do please check out The New Yorker. The English is superb.

You say that you wish to speak to professional people. I do not know what field you are in. But I am sure that the

Web has magazines in your field. Read them regularly, and your vocabulary will grow quickly.

James

P.S. In my first paragraph, I used three exclamation marks. Please remember that many teachers want students to use

only one exclamation mark. I feel, however, that exclamation marks are a matter of style, not grammar. So I have

chosen to break any so-called "one exclamation" rule. But I suggest that you follow the teachers' advice about using

only one exclamation mark!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As long as it's one exclamation mark a month. ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As long as it's one exclamation mark a month. ;-)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

"And, of course, the familiar device of exploding a single sentence with exclamation points in duplicate

or tripicate (Zowie!!!) should be confined to the comic books."

Professor William W. Watt, An American Rhetoric (1952).

etep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
Germany
I agree with the poster above who emphasized on reading. Reading is the only way to improve better vocabulary and a get a better "feel" for written language (not only in terms of orthography but also syntax.)

However, if you want to start off with vocabulary, you could buy or make some flashcards and go through it everyday. Try formulating sentences with every word in order to consolidate that very word in your mind.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, reading is key to acquiring vocabulary, with the advantage of giving context.

Status
Not open for further replies.