How to say that somthing was made with failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce111

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am looking for a simple phrase but I can't find a certain answer on web (google). I am thinking about situation when we for example buy a thing and notice later that something is wrong wih this thing (e.g. watch, shoes, car, house ....). I thought that sentence " It was made badly. " should be correct but there aren't many results when I browse this sentence in the "google". There are more results for "It was made bad." but this second sentence seems wrong for me because verb should usually join with adverb. So what is the answer?
And I have a second, similar question. The phrase "things turned ..." shoud I write: "things turned bad" or "things turned badly" ?
Thanks in advance.
(sorry for a missing letter in subject of this post)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought that sentence " It was made badly. " should be correct but there aren't many results when I browse this sentence in the "google".
I'd say, "It was badly made", but 'made badly' is acceptable. 'Made bad' is incorrect here.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Or in a letter of complaint you could use the word 'defective - which is a bit too formal for colloquial use.

On the second question, 'things turned bad' (not 'badly') You could also say they 'took a turn for the worse' or 'took a nasty turn' ('nasty', not 'bad':))

b

Pierce111

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for those answers. You helped me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.