Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#47569]Usually participles in the introduction part describe the subject in the main clause, but considering the translation and context, "unknown" seems to describe the whole main clause meaning Joanne's same activity. So is this an exceptional case or a common one?

p3)So not only were her fellow drivers angry at her[/FONT][FONT=&#47569], it was actually taking her even longer to get home after work. Kate’s children were almost ready for bed by the time she walked in the door. Feeling bad for her family, Kate gave up on her [/FONT][FONT=&#47569]plan of not blocking the intersections and went back to driving like everyone else.
But unknown to Kate, her neighbor Joanne, had come up with the same idea [/FONT][FONT=&#47569]a couple of weeks earlier. Driving to and from her [/FONT][FONT=&#47569]office, she had been waiting at the intersections to let other cars pass. But her experience was just as bad as Kate’s, and before long she had also given up.[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Usually participles in the introduction part describe the subject in the main clause, but considering the translation and context, "unknown" seems to describe the whole main clause meaning Joanne's same activity.
Keannu, please stop asking questions based on your translation into English of a Korean translation of some English expression.

Very few of the people who respond here understand Korean. Even if more did, there would be little point in our dealing with a translation of a translation. Either post your questions in this forum, giving the actual Korean translation, or ask your questions here based just on English.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I did it just to verify if the translation is right or wrong, but if it's disturbing, I will stop it.
Anyway I've been worried if I do that I will lose the chance to clearly identify wrong translations. From now on, I will handle such doubt myself.
--I also need the answer for this thread.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kate did not know that her neighbor Joanne was doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.