Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ha ha, I was just reading that story myself on the BBC website! It's one thing to take on the accent of a foreign country where you lived for some time (I know I suffered from that a little in Madrid), but to just do it in a press conference in that country is ludicrous.

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
yes, I had a laugh but actually, if I'm honest, I picked up some terrible habits living in Spain - I stopped using questions tags and started merely saying "no?" at the end of sentences. The worst thing is that it genuinely sounded fine to me and I had to ask people if it was correct. I'm only just starting to shake it off! Not as bad though as some teacher friends who'd spent too long in Germany and started saying "or?" (in English!) instead of question tags, like the German "oder?"
An occupational hazard I suppose.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Important is that you don't pass these things on to your students in a training. Fortunately, I am immune of such things. Even when I spend a whole weekend on the cottage in the nature with my Czech friends, I retain the purity of my tongue.

;-)

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What were you doing on the cottage? Was there a flood? :)

etep

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Jamaica
Current Location
Germany
I quite miss Czech cottages. I wish people all over the world adopted a similar idea.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Someone wise once said 'To err is human' and it is.
You can tear me to pieces, but no native speaker, regardless the language, is exempt from any sorts of language errors. 'Inaccuracies' come in all shapes and sizes and are particularly noticeable in informal conversations where immediate reaction, spontaneous decisions and constantly changing content override the norm. Higher levels of education could seemingly protect from such misfortunes, but ironically it applies more to speaking in L2 with a well-developed self-control and is almost always at the expense of speed (and, sadly, quite often the meaning).
My tutor, the best tutor of all time, once said 'Whatever a native speaker utters is never a mistake because this is how language evolves'. It could have been said to reassure my peers but it also inspired a certain interest into the nature of language errors.
What confuses me is if fault-finding really is a professional hallmark of a teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.