Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was taught that when making quotation, it's preferable to use the simple present. For example, Shakespear says/writes that "All the world is a stage."
Is this a rule that still applies? Can we use "Shakespear said..."? Is there certain context for people to use simple present or simple past? Are there differences?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was taught that when making quotation, it's preferable to use the simple present. For example, Shakespear says/writes that "All the world is a stage."
Is this a rule that still applies? Can we use "Shakespear said..."? Is there certain context for people to use simple present or simple past? Are there differences?

No, there is nothing wrong with saying e.g. Shakespeare said...

The very widespread use of the present tense, however, tends to suggest that their words are being invested by the writer with a kind of timeless wisdom.

Needless to say, the usage is restricted to famous dead people. We would not say e.g.

My grandfather says...

unless he were still alive!

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, there is nothing wrong with saying e.g. Shakespeare said...

The very widespread use of the present tense, however, tends to suggest that their words are being invested by the writer with a kind of timeless wisdom.

Needless to say, the usage is restricted to famous dead people. We would not say e.g.

My grandfather says...

unless he were still alive!

Thank you very much. So they are both used, right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.