Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Sir John said the main aim was to help more students achieve a good grade in English, but he acknowledged it was also a “belt and braces” approach for schools."
More: Schools enter pupils twice for English exams to boost rankings

A “belt and braces” approach
means providing double security,actions are done in order to be extra careful, and
using more than one method to make sure that something is safe. Question: Can precautionary measures and a belt and braces approach be mutually substituted?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. The point about 'belt and braces' is that it involves double security.

death

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"belt and braces" means taking more action than are really necessary to make sure that sth succeeds or work as it should ,but "precautionary measures" ​means a preventative official action that is done in order to achieve a particular aim.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"belt and braces" means taking more action than are really necessary to make sure that sth succeeds or work as it should ,but "precautionary measures" ​means a preventative official action that is done in order to achieve a particular aim.
Are you saying that because my actions are not sanctioned by some official they cannot be precautionary? I can take precautionary measures against my automobile overheating by making sure that there is adequate water in the cooling system.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you saying that because my actions are not sanctioned by some official they cannot be precautionary? I can take precautionary measures against my automobile overheating by making sure that there is adequate water in the cooling system.

That's true, but putting water in the cooling system is not a belt and braces approach. A belt and braces approach would be topping up the water in the cooling system every single time you drive the car, making sure you have twenty litres of water in the boot to top up the cooling system just in case it runs out, and taking it to a garage once a week to get them to check the cooling system too!

Status
Not open for further replies.