Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In this sentence "Confidence has never been your strong point" the expression "strong point" looks for me as a word-for-word translation from Russian. May be there is some other more English-like phrase to express the same meaning "the strong point of somebody's character"? Or it is ok?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's a completely natural English expression. It just happens that Russian uses a similar idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ms. Gaidar:

You probably know this, but some people in the United States also like to say or write:

"Confidence has never been your forte."

(Mr. Bryan A. Garner, an outstanding usage expert, claims that most Americans pronounce it as for-tay -- not as

fort, which he says is how the French pronounce it.)

I have no idea how most people pronounce it. As you can see, self-confidence is not my strong point.

James

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Hello, Ms. Gaidar:

You probably know this, but some people in the United States also like to say or write:

"Confidence has never been your forte."

(Mr. Bryan A. Garner, an outstanding usage expert, claims that most Americans pronounce it as for-tay -- not as

fort, which he says is how the French pronounce it.)

I have no idea how most people pronounce it. As you can see, self-confidence is not my strong point.

James

That's new for me that people in the USA say like this. I've never heard it before. For me it is really difficult to understand how I should say and write - in British English or American English. I even do not mention that there are plenty of other English speaking countries!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me it is really difficult to understand how I should say and write - in British English or American English. I even do not mention that there are plenty of other English speaking countries!

Hello, Ms. Gaidar:

According to many of the great teachers here, it does not matter that much which variety of English you choose.

Personally, I do not agree with them, but I do not have the guts (courage) to tell you which variety that I think you

should choose.

Besides self-confidence, courage is not my forte, either!

James

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also "my strong suit" - a reference to playing cards, I believe.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For me it is really difficult to understand how I should say and write - in British English or American English.
It doesn't really matter which you speak. Ideally you should try to be consistent, but that is not always possible for learners. The main purpose of using a language is to communicate your message. Using an occasional American English spelling, pronunciation and/or word if your model variety is British English (or vice versa) is not a tragedy.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There is also "my strong suit" - a reference to playing cards, I believe.

My dictionary suggested me this variant, but it didn't suggest that it was about cards. Thanks! Now I will know it!

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It doesn't really matter which you speak. Ideally you should try to be consistent, but that is not always possible for learners. The main purpose of using a language is to communicate your message. Using an occasional American English spelling, pronunciation and/or word if your model variety is British English (or vice versa) is not a tragedy.

I hope so, because it is really impossible to know all the differences!:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.