[General] He strains to the utmost to evoke fire, but when he looks at his hands they produce o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm translating fairy tales and historical texts, as usual. Sorry to bother you with all this magical stuff, but the words compatibility really kills me!:cry: So, imagine that a person (who is not really a person, but a demon) has a special power - he can evoke fire. He appeares from the fire and reappeares in some other places with the help of it. So... does it sound ok: "He strains to the utmost to evoke fire, but when he looks at his hands they produce only weak gleam". The troublesome places are in bold.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
And continuation of this: "Your fire will not avail any of your kind in my realm till I draw breath!" Natural or not natural? It should sound old-fashioned and magical.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For evoke I think 'call up' would be better.

'...avail any of your kind in my realm...' is OK (given your preference for archaism), but do you mean 'while I draw breath' (equals 'as long as I live'). In your context, though, 'till I draw breath' might make sense (in the sense 'until I assume animate form'.

b

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
For evoke I think 'call up' would be better.

'...avail any of your kind in my realm...' is OK (given your preference for archaism), but do you mean 'while I draw breath' (equals 'as long as I live'). In your context, though, 'till I draw breath' might make sense (in the sense 'until I assume animate form'.

b

Yes, I meant as long as I live. Would it sound better if I write like this "as long as I live" instead of "while I draw breath"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS I've just thought: 'strains every sinew' would be better than '...strains to the utmost' (it's suitably archaic).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.