Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"You find yourself staring into the cupboards, gazing in to the fridge, rummaging through the recesses of your wallet or purse. You find nothing. No comfort food. Not a snack in sight; just some aged cake mix, a suspicious-looking yoghurt and a bundle of old receipts."

More: Make your money go as far as possible
The writer used "wallet or purse" over here since the reader is unknown. In other words, the reader could be a male or a female. Am I right?

purse n ((BAG)) - definition in American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionary Online

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. In BrE, men usually use a wallet and women use a purse (although women might have a wallet too). In AmE, a purse is what in BrE is called a handbag.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. In British English, wallets are more associated with men and purses with women, but men can have purses and women wallets.

Ah, I see that ems posted while I was writing this, and we disagree. All I can say is that both my wife and I have wallets and purses, none of them being handbags,

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also a (man's) wallet usually contains money, credit cards, perhaps some ID etc, whereas a (woman's) handbag usually contains everything including the kitchen sink.

(I'll duck now)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In British English, a woman's handbag often contains, among other things, a purse (or wallet)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say it's quite unusual for a man to have a purse, though I am aware that some do. Both sexes use wallets. There is a difference in the description of them:

A man's wallet is usually a simple leather folding object, with perhaps a few slots for credit cards, and the main part holds notes. They rarely hold coins. This is a photo of this type of wallet.

A woman's purse is usually a small container with either a zip or a snap-closer, which is designed to hold coins and is perhaps large enough for a couple of credit cards and folded notes. This is a photo of this type of purse. This is sometimes known as a coin purse.

A woman's wallet folds like a man's wallet but usually has an extra section for coins (so they don't have to carry the coin purse as well) and frequently closes with a press-stud fastener. This is a photo of this type of wallet.

As I said, if a speaker of AmE says "purse", then they are talking about the thing which in BrE, is a "handbag".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No disagreement with anything ems said in post #6 after the first clause. I concede that far more men have a wallet than a purse; I also think that men's purses are disappearing. This is largely because men carry coins around far less than they used to. When I was a student, I would often go out for a few drinks with only coins in my purse. A ten-shilling (50p) note was a rare treasure - in my student days it would buy fifty cigarettes, seven pints of beer, or just under two and a half gallons (just over eleven litres) of petrol.

In the Czech Republic we still have more coins per head of population than in the UK, and some of us old fogeys still carry purses.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No disagreement with anything ems said in post #6 after the first clause. I concede that far more men have a wallet than a purse; I also think that men's purses are disappearing. This is largely because men carry coins around far less than they used to. When I was a student, I would often go out for a few drinks with only coins in my purse. A ten-shilling (50p) note was a rare treasure - in my student days it would buy fifty cigarettes, seven pints of beer, or just under two and a half gallons (just over eleven litres) of petrol.

In the Czech Republic we still have more coins per head of population than in the UK, and some of us old fogeys still carry purses.

My dad came back from a holiday in Italy with a leather "manbag" or "man purse". I couldn't find a decent picture of it though this is the closest. It was about A6 size and had a wrist strap and several pockets. My mum refused to be seen out with him when he was carrying it!

Fifty ciggies, seven pints of beer and two and half gallons of petrol?! Wow. That must have been a good night out! ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Fifty ciggies, seven pints of beer and two and half gallons of petrol?! Wow. That must have been a good night out! ;-)
The conjunction was or, not and.

Mind you, I could put a gallon of petrol in my car, drive my bird to the flea-pit, pay for both seats in the snogging row, buy myself ten Woodies, go to the pub and buy me a pint of beer and her a half of shandy - and do the whole thing on twelve bob.

Learners - ignore that. It's just what old people do when somebody pushes the right button

aliciaklein

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lovely designer wallet with that standard look and function would be a pretty gift that would please your girlfriend or wife. But if you are going to buy a new women's wallet for your special friend or for yourself, you have to consider certain important things to avoid being cheated. This article is the right place for anyone looking for the best tips for choosing the right women's wallet for the first time. Leather wallets are among the most popular of its kind mainly because of their durability, versatility and beauty. Indeed, most of the iconic, classic and trendiest wallets for women are made from leather with accents. Of course, wallets are also made from other materials like fabric, plastic and even metal but leather still dominates the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.