need help

I am writing a book report and would like to make a good grade on it and i need to know what tone and mood of a story actually means. I have looked it up in the dictionaray and not sure if a have the correct meanig. could you give me an the proper definition and an example so i will know for sure

Question Re: need help

i am writing a book report and would like to make a good grade. i need to know the tone and mood of a story. i have looked it up in the dictionary and i am not sure if i have the correct definition. can you give me the defintion and an exaple to go by.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: need help

Here's a definition of tone:
    Tone The author’s implicit attitude toward the reader or the people, places, and events in a work as revealed by the elements of the author’s style. Tone may be characterized as serious or ironic, sad or happy, private or public, angry or affectionate, bitter or nostalgic, or any other attitudes and feelings that human beings experience. See also style.
    (From a dictionary of literature terms: http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/lite...glossary_t.htm)
    The mood is the same as the standard dictionary definition- is the book happy, sad, dark, moving, etc?