• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Which is(are) right?

Dear English teacher:
    Which of the following choices is (are) correct?
    Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system…….
    A) besides that, it wanted control of its zoning laws.
    B) and its own zoning laws.
    C) and to have jurisdiction over its zoning laws.
    D) as well as controlling its own zoning laws.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Which is(are) right?

Quote Originally Posted by High on grammar View Post
    Dear English teacher:
    Which of the following choices is (are) correct?
    Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system…….

Thanks
    They are all possible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    They are all possible.
    Let's put aside the fact that they all could be used as possible answers, and focus on the best answers. Which would you choose as the best answer(s)?

THANKS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

That could vary according to the exact circumstances.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have to disagree with my fellow moderators.

a) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system besides that, it wanted control of its zoning laws. This doesn't work without a change in punctuation or the addition of an article.

b) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and its own zoning laws. This is grammatical and parallel. Each city wanted control of [its own eduational system] and [its own zoning laws].

C) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and to have jurisdiction over its zoning laws. Not quite as parallel. Each city wanted [control of its own educational system] and [to have jurisdiction over ...]. Would be more parallel withou the "to have."

D) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system as well as controlling its own zoning laws.
    Not grammatical. Each city wanted [control of its own educational system] as well as [controlling its own zoning laws.] This leaves you with this idea "Each city wanted controlling its own zoning laws."

So I find a wrong as is, d ungrammatical, and c lacking parallelism, leaving B as the best choice.

I don't htink the last one works because of
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I have to disagree with my fellow moderators.

a) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system besides that, it wanted control of its zoning laws. This doesn't work without a change in punctuation or the addition of an article.

b) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and its own zoning laws. This is grammatical and parallel. Each city wanted control of [its own eduational system] and [its own zoning laws].

C) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and to have jurisdiction over its zoning laws. Not quite as parallel. Each city wanted [control of its own educational system] and [to have jurisdiction over ...]. Would be more parallel withou the "to have."

D) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system as well as controlling its own zoning laws.
    Not grammatical. Each city wanted [control of its own educational system] as well as [controlling its own zoning laws.] This leaves you with this idea "Each city wanted controlling its own zoning laws."

So I find a wrong as is, d ungrammatical, and c lacking parallelism, leaving B as the best choice.

I don't think the last one works because of
    Thank you very much.
    You may not be an English teacher but you most certainly know how English grammar works. And I apologize for being this late; I didn’t get notified about your answer.
    So, in order for all the choices to be grammatically correct we must rephrase them as follows:
    A) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system; besides that, each wanted control of its zoning laws.
    B) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and its own zoning laws. Correct as is
    C) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and jurisdiction over its zoning laws.
    D) Originally, each city in X country wanted control of its own educational system and as well as that of its own zoning laws.

Thanks again