Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Macau
Current Location
Macau
Hi all..

I'm wondering if this sentence "getting that job did a lot to boost her ego" got any mistake or not..?
To me, the sentence would make more sense if it's "he did a lot to boost her ego".
Should I say "getting that job did boost her ego a lot" instead?
Thanks in advance.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all..

I'm wondering if this sentence "getting that job did a lot to boost her ego" [STRIKE]got [/STRIKE] has any mistakes or not..?
To me, the sentence would make more sense if it's "He did a lot to boost her ego".
Should I say "getting that job did boost her ego a lot" instead? You could include "did" but why would you? It would make sense to include "did" here this way, "I've noticed that she is feeling better about herself. I guess that getting that job did boost her ego a lot".
Thanks in advance.
If you write, "He did a lot to boost her ego", the sentence is fine, but it has a different meaning.

hypassaro

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Macau
Current Location
Macau
If you write, "He did a lot to boost her ego", the sentence is fine, but it has a different meaning.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I know "He did a lot to boost her ego" has a different meaning from the original sentence.
Regarding the "getting a job did a lot to boost her ego", so you mean it's okay for me to use "did a lot" here?
What I confuse is I think it makes sense for a human being to do a lot (of things) to boost one's ego, but not an action (getting a job) to do a lot (of things) to boost one's ego.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I know "He did a lot to boost her ego" has a different meaning from the original sentence.
Regarding the "getting a job did a lot to boost her ego", so you mean it's okay for me to use "did a lot" here?
What I confused about is I think it makes sense for a human being to do a lot (of things) to boost one's ego, but not an action (getting a job) to do a lot (of things) to boost one's ego.
Getting a job is an action done by a person. See if this sentence makes sense to you, "Getting to the top of the mountain did a lot to help him get over his fear of failure". It wasn't the mountain that helped him, it was the effort put forth that helped him get over his fear.

The war in the south did a lot to make him become a pacifist. Here, we can consider the war to be actions done by people.

The recent storm did a lot to force the government to decide not to rebuild along the coast. Here, we consider the feelings of the people after seeing the results of the storm.

hypassaro

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Macau
Current Location
Macau
Getting a job is an action done by a person. See if this sentence makes sense to you, "Getting to the top of the mountain did a lot to help him get over his fear of failure". It wasn't the mountain that helped him, it was the effort put forth that helped him get over his fear.

The war in the south did a lot to make him become a pacifist. Here, we can consider the war to be actions done by people.

The recent storm did a lot to force the government to decide not to rebuild along the coast. Here, we consider the feelings of the people after seeing the results of the storm.

Thank you very much!! I am really very grateful for your help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.