Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I was confused when reading the sentence below. Could you explain what you make of it ?
Thanks in advance.
Here is the sentence :"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is essential for survival and already present at birth, as it is predetermined by the genetic make-up of the organism."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was confused when reading the sentence below. Could you explain what you make of it ?
Thanks in advance.
Here is the sentence :"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is essential for survival and already present at birth, as it is predetermined by the genetic make-up of the organism."

Welcome to the forum.

What, specifically, are you confused by? Do you understand each individual word?

By the way, you may wish to take another look at your member profile. You have marked that you are an Abkhasian native speaker (a disputed territory in Georgia on the Black Sea), whose home country is Argentina and that you are currently in Botswana. Please check those details as the first two particularly seem a rather unlikely coupling. Which school in Botswana are you studying English at?

blueisthebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Welcome to the forum.

What, specifically, are you confused by? Do you understand each individual word?

By the way, you may wish to take another look at your member profile. You have marked that you are an Abkhasian native speaker (a disputed territory in Georgia on the Black Sea), whose home country is Argentina and that you are currently in Botswana. Please check those details as the first two particularly seem a rather unlikely coupling. Which school in Botswana are you studying English at?

First of all thank you, i will make my profile correct later. When i registered quickly i chose most things randomly.

I understand each individual word but what makes me confused is that "when" word. Can i change the sentence like below? is it it still same meaning?

original sentence :"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is essential for survival and already present at birth"

changed by me: "A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is needed, it is essential for survival and already present at birth"

Thank you in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
First of all thank you, i will make my profile correct later. When i registered quickly i chose most things randomly.
Remember that we always use a capital letter for the first person pronoun'I'.
Can i change the sentence like below? is it it still same meaning?

original sentence :"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is essential for survival and already present at birth"

changed by me: "A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate when it is needed, it is essential for survival and already present at birth"
No. Your addition makes a clear sentence unclear.

blueisthebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Remember that we always use a capital letter for the first person pronoun'I'.No. Your addition makes a clear sentence unclear.

Well, if I take the "when" word out of the sentence, which word should I use instead of the word to get same or almost same meaning?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
well, if I take the "when" word out of the sentence, which word should I use instead of the word to get same meaning?
Why to do want to take 'when' out of the sentence?

blueisthebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Why to do want to take 'when' out of the sentence?

Because I do not understand why that word is used there. So I can not put together these two clauses.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate in cases when/where/in which it is essential for survival ..."

Does that help?

blueisthebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"A behavioural pattern is considered to be innate in cases when/where/in which it is essential for survival ..."

Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.